LAS VEGAS,Nevada– Kim Chmielewski experienced a terrifying incident over the Mother’s Day weekend when her 5-year-old daughter, Cate, was stung by a scorpion while in their backyard pool.
The severity of the sting led them to visit the hospital twice, and Cate received three doses of antivenin as part of her treatment. Thankfully, she eventually recovered from the incident.
A bark scorpion only a few inches long had crawled along the bottom of a shallow ledge in the pool before it stung Cate on her upper leg.
“Never in a million years did I think scorpions could survive in the water,” said Chmielewski.
Chmielewski took her daughter to the hospital, where she was given Benadryl and told what symptoms to look out for before being discharged.
An hour later, at home, Cate experienced involuntary movements and twitches for five to 10 minutes before having full-body muscle spasms.
Chmielewski then called 911, and they went back to Summerlin Hospital and spent Saturday night into Mother’s Day in the hospital, where Cate was given three doses of antivenin.
Cate has since made a full recovery and even jumped back into their backyard pool.
Chmielewski says that they spray their yard for scorpions but from now on will check every time before getting in the pool.
What to know about scorpions
Bark scorpions, known for their venomous nature, are among the most venomous scorpions in the United States. They are primarily found in the western regions of the country.
While scorpions do not intentionally enter pools, they can be attracted to them due to the presence of their prey, including small insects.
Symptoms to look out for
If you or someone you know gets stung by a scorpion, it’s important to be aware of certain symptoms. Look out for signs such as face rubbing, numbness, and tingling, which may indicate a reaction to the sting.
Children and older adults are more likely to experience severe symptoms, including rapid eye movements and increased salivation. The severity of symptoms can vary from person to person. If symptoms develop, it is recommended to contact poison control at 1-800-222-1222.
In the case of an allergic reaction, call 911 or seek immediate medical attention at the nearest emergency room.